Fruit Palm Trees (Full Definition)
Palm trees are not only valued for their beautiful scenery but also for bearing delicious fruits that are enjoyed worldwide.
You can find fruit palm trees predominantly in warm and tropical regions, showcasing different types with towering heights.
Many palms produce juicy and sweet fruits, with dates and coconuts being the most well-known. However, there are other various types of edible fruits borne by palm trees.
In this article, we will explore different edible varieties of fruits and fruit palm trees, some available in markets, while others used in the food industry or as health supplements.
What types of fruits are produced by palm trees?
Here is the type of fruits that you can see on the palm trees:
Coconut Palm (Cocos nucifera)The Coconut Palm is the most well-known fruit of fruit palm trees. The coconut palm produces greenish or yellowish fruit that turns brown as mature.
- These rounded fruits are 20 cm in diameter and 45 cm in length. You can recognize this fruit surrounded by a hairy cover.
- However, coconut palm’s fruit is considered nuts; it is not; it is a drupe-like date. It means they have a flesh texture with a stone or seed in their core.
- The inside of coconut fruit is filled with white flesh, which is juicy. The coconut meat is white and has a jelly-like substance. You can drill a hole in the soft part of the fruit and drink coconut water.
- The delicious white flesh of coconut can be used in various culinary preparations.
- The shape of coconut fruit varies, depending on whether it is domesticated or wild.
Date Palm (Phoenix dactylifera)
- The fruits from the date palm tree are sweet and succulent, known as dates. These elongated, oval-shaped drupe fruits are various in color, from bright red to yellow or dark brown.
- The most well-known one is brown dates, which have fibrous flesh. The length of fruits is about 2.5 to 7 cm in length.
- These fruits appear as a cluster on the tree, making them easily recognizable. The rate of fruit production can be measured by the tree’s age and the region’s climate.
- Medjool date is the famous fruit from fruit palm trees in the market, which is large and ova-shaped. They have wrinkled skin with a dark brown color and sweet taste.
- Date palms are known for their resilience in arid climates and their ability to thrive in desert regions.
Acai (PalmEpeuter oleracea)
- Native to the Amazon rainforest, the Acai Palm produces small, dark purple to black berries known as acai. These berries grow in clusters of 500-900 fruits on a single branch.
- These berries have pulpy flesh with a single seed inside, which is prominent compared to the flesh part of the fruit. The size of the berries is about 2.5 cm in diameter.
- The berries turn black when they ripen, which makes them recognizable. About the taste of acai berries, to say it is like blackberries and unsweetened chocolate.
- As the fruits of acai palm have a short shelf life, you cannot find them outside of America.
- The acai berries have gained popularity worldwide for their antioxidant properties used as supplements in producing health-based material.
- Acai berries are commonly used in smoothie bowls, juices, and other health-conscious recipes. The oil of these fruits is widely used in making cosmetics.
Pindo palm fruit (Butia capitata)
The Pindo palm tree, also known as jelly palm fruit, produces small and yellowish to orangish color fruits, similar to cherries in size—the size of fruits measures about 2.5 cm in diameter, and grows in clusters on the palm tree.
The taste of raw pinto fruits is like apricots, pineapple, or bananas. These fruits are used in making jelly. Pindo fruits naturally fall from the tree as they ripen.
Most people in Florida plant this palm for ornamental purposes; however, they should maintain balance to create harmony rather than a mess.
Snake palm fruit (Salacca zalacca)
- Snake palm fruits are native to Java and Sumatra in Indonesia, having a shelf-like snake skin in egg-shaped.
- They have a sweet and tangy white pulp that is edible. The fruit is divided into three lobes, resembling a garlic bulb, with each lobe containing an un edible large seed.
- The taste of this fruit ranges from sweet to astringent; sometimes, they are juicy, and sometimes dry and not wet.
The bottom line
Palm trees are various and produce different types of fruits. Not only are they popular for ornamental purposes, but also their edible fruits.
In this article, we introduce you to a list of palm tree that produces edible fruits and provide information about the features of these fruits to help you recognize them.
We hope you find this article helpful in finding your favorite palm tree.
Please tell us which fruits you want to eat in the comment section and why.